On This Day in FFD History

October 30, 2016 Events  No comments


From the Cumberland Evening Times, Thursday, October 30 1947 Page 16

Frostburg – Extinguish Fire At Cotton Club
The Frostburg Fire Department was called to the Cotton Club, a tavern on Park Avenue, at 4 o’clock this morning to extinguish a fire.

Mrs. Earle Jackson, proprietor of the club, resides in the same building and was awakened by the smoke.

Firemen used a booster line to extinguish the blaze, which was confined to the club room. It is believed this blaze was caused by a smoldering cigarette.

Furnishings in the room were badly damaged according to Fire Chief G. Woodrow Layman but he gave no estimate of the loss.

Leave a reply